Thursday, March 02, 2006

The greatness of Denis Healey

Regular readers of this blog might by now have cottoned-on to the fact that Denis Healey is one of my political heroes. This week he has been showing why.

Interviewed by the BBC's Andrew Marr on Sunday, he said Tony Blair should quit now in favour of Gordon Brown, a course of action which I have been urging on the Prime Minister for some considerable time.

Now, in his Daily Telegraph column, Marr has revealed the delightful story of what Healey said in the studio afterwards to Ruth Kelly, the youthful Education Secretary who was also being interviewed.

You can read it here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr Linford,

That comment to Miss Kelly is fairly typical of my uncle. I could reveal one or two other things about him, but I'm not too sure I should...
Incidentally, Mr Marr is wrong. My uncle will be 89 this year, not 90.
yours sincerely,
R.M.Healey
Historian

Paul Linford said...

Thank you for taking the trouble to comment - and do pass on my best wishes to your uncle!