Sunday, December 21, 2008

My Top 10 Christmas Carols: No 4

4. The Shepherd's Farewell: Hector Berlioz

Part of the oratorio L'Enfance du Christ, this is another French composition that has become an essential part of the English choral repertoire. The composer, Berlioz, was operating at the height of the romantic era and the piece has a rather other-worldly feel I have always loved.

This carol was a favourite of my dad's in the days when he used to come along and hear the choir at Nine Lessons on Christmas Eve. Today would also have been his 81st birthday, so this one is dedicated to his memory.







free web site hit counter

1 comment:

Varun G said...

Wish u Merry Christmas. I liked your Christmas post... I also want to present my Christmas 2009 just like yours. Would you be interested to exchange link with my PR4 Blog.