Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Blog changes

I've been making a few changes to the contents panel today, mainly with the aim of improving the signposting and adding some deserving new links.

The biggest change is the subdivision of the "Best of the Blogosphere" category, which was becoming rather long, back into six broad political categories: Non-aligned, Conservative, Labour, Lib Dem, Anti-Blair and Anglosphere. If anyone thinks I've miscategorised them, please email me and I'll change it.

Anyway this gives me the opportunity to introduce a few more links to sites that I rate including:

* Tory Radio, Jonathan Shepherd's increasingly influential podcasting site;
* The Nether World, David Simonetti's latest solo offering;
* Mike Ion, one of the more sensible voices in the Labour blogosphere;
* Craig Murray, who has something to say even if you don't agree with it;
* And finally, the hilarious Hitler Cats which needs no further introduction.

I've also put in a permanent link to the 7/7 Bombings Inquiry Petition, in the hope of encouraging more visitors to sign it.

Some fellow bloggers have suggested I dispense with Blogger and purchase myself a spanking new bespoke website as Iain Dale did earlier this year, but I must say I'm in two minds.

I really like the simplicity and "cleanness" of the Blogger template, and it also seems to load on the page a damned site more quickly than some other blogs I could mention. I would welcome views on this however.

Finally, thanks to everyone who continues to visit the blog and to make it worth my while.

Visitor numbers aren't yet in the Guido/Iain Dale league, well not by a long chalk, but I am pleased to say that they have very nearly doubled over the past month and at the current rate of progress I should be challenging Guido by about September 2013! Not that it's a competition of course.....

free web site hit counter

4 comments:

Iain Dale said...

Paul, Blogger will be rolling out some changes soon, so I wouldn't shift just yet.

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the link. I've just shifted over to the new blogger beta thingy. I'm still feeling my way around but everything seems to be working (it was the links I was worried about). I've realised that to get all the groovy new functions you have to change the template which is a bit of a drag but never mind.

Anonymous said...

Paul,

I award myself an OBN (with Oak Leaves) but yours is one of the few places where the order of the day is serenity than shouting.

(Once upon a time, His Grace Archbishop Cranmer offered similar agreeably verdant pastures, but alas he has been discovered by the BNP)

Ellee Seymour said...

Hi Paul, I really liked Blogger for its simplicity and as Iain says, it has plans to update too. I have changed to WordPress because I wanted more flexibility, I wanted to add more pages and have a platform for my flickr pics. Thanks to Windows Live Writer, it is easy to write stories and add pics which I was struggling with at first, but I don't regret the change.

I do have technical support through my blogging mentor Geoff and I couldn't have managed without him. I think it is best to wait and see what Blogger comes up with, simplicity of use is essential.