Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Olympic memories

I will doubtless be following the Olympics over the next couple of weeks or so, but I doubt I will see anything that will enthrall me so much as the great athletics performances which inspired me as I was growing up. Thankfully, many of these are now available on YouTube, so here are three of my favourites.

1. "And Viren defends his title wonderfully well." Quite simply one of my favourite sporting moments ever, from the Montreal games. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H_JzBVqkuI.

2. "Juantorena opens his legs and shows his class." Okay, so David Coleman didn't really say this, but a great performance nonetheless. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoGaC6KAG1Y.

3. "Akii Bua coming on the inside." Coleman did say this, no fewer than three times as the Ugandan overhauled David Hemery in '72. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBt4_j3BlgE.

free web site hit counter

4 comments:

Bob Piper said...

Paul, you are correct, "Juantorena opens his legs and shows his class" wasn't said by David Coleman, although it is often wrongly attributed to him... but it was actually said by the late great Ron Pickering.

Julian the Wonderhorse said...

How about Raymond Brookes Ward on the showjumping "look at this big stallion screw over the fence with Caroline"?

Cyberleader said...

I was very cynical about this years olympics, but team GB have performed exceptionally.

Plus I think Usain Bolts 100 and 200 metres is the stuff of sporting history. No one will touch him now for a generation.

Anonymous said...

My first memory is Herb Elliot sprinting away from the field in the 1500 metres in the 1960 Rome Olympics.

It still rankles that political correctness stopped him lighting the flame at Sydney.