Friday, May 08, 2009

Not cricket

I don't want to take away from England's now near-certain victory in the First Test against West Indies - "West Indies get first taste of Onions" was my favourite headline on the match - but I can't get excited about it, for two reasons.

Firstly, it's on Sky, and therefore watching it would entail giving money to the man who has done more to debase British journalism and politics over the past 30 years than any other single individual, but I've been here before.

The second reason it all leaves me rather cold, however, is that Test cricket really shouldn't be played at this time of the year at all in my view - at least, not in England.

Early May is surely a time for tying up the loose ends of the football season before the summer sports take over, and for cricketers to try to score 1,000 runs for their county in a bid to force their way into the Test team. Or am I beginning to sound like my dad?

free web site hit counter

4 comments:

Events dear boy, events said...

No, you are not sounding like your Dad. I have been thinking the same as you watching today. It is more the atmosphere, than the temperature. The ball does not behave as it should. We cant go back to the old days. I wish we could sometimes.

Anyway, Lords does not change much. It is the best place in England on a summer day.

Ted Foan said...

Spot on Paul. Both about the timing of Tests and your reason for not watching Sky. I have been saying the same thing for years - I will not give money to Murdoch even though it meant I had to stop buying the Sunday Times!

The Half-Blood Welshman said...

You may be sounding like your Dad (not knowing him, I can't say) but you're bang to rights on every count. The sooner cricket is bumped up back to the A-list and on free to air, the better.

Paul Linford said...

You're not missing much Ted - it's been crap since about 1983 when Murdoch sacked Frank Giles and gave the editorship to Brillo Pad.