Monday, February 27, 2006

Charles: Should he speak out - or shut up?

I devoted my column and accompanying podcast this week to the issue of Prince Charles's political involvement.

Although I have a great deal of sympathy with the Prince in his railing against the prevailing political consensus, as a monarchist I am concerned about the potential longer-term implications of this.

"The bottom line is that as long as Charles continues to involve himself in issues of political controversy, it will be used by some as a stick to beat him with. The position of the Monarchy is not so strong that it can withstand that sort of criticism on an ongoing basis."

A contrasting and perhaps rather more eloquent view came from Simon Jenkins in yesterday's Sunday Times.

3 comments:

LUU Dude said...

He does air his views in public too much, if he did it all behind the scenes we would not know how much he cares, but he should not otherwise he will ruin the constatutional monachy we have.

janestheone said...

quite right, as a monarchist myself (I used to be a republican but I changed my mind, in part after meeting Charles) - he should put a sock in it, fab though he is.

Paul Linford said...

Jane - as a matter of interest, did you also change your mind about the Monarchy after viewing President Blair at close quarters? ;-)