Friday, October 19, 2007

Alan Coren RIP

Like most News Quiz aficionados I was sorry to hear of the death of Alan Coren, but I can guarantee there is one clip you won't be hearing amid the on-air tributes to him over the next few days.

On an edition of the Quiz that went out on the morning of Saturday, 30 August 1997, Coren uttered the words: "I don't know a lot about landmines or Princess Diana, but I do know you would be mad to poke either of them."

Legend has it that, after the Princess's death the following day, a BBC flunkey was despatched on a search-and-destroy mission to ensure that every last copy of the offending tape was safely disposed of.

free web site hit counter


Toque said...

Awe...I used to love him and Sandi Toksvig on Call My Bluff.

skipper said...

I heard that too and gasped; but I thought it was the Friday night it was said. But I was very sad too- Coren could have had another ten years to delight us with his wit and he/we have been denied. What a waste, but what a natural talent for humour.

Ted Harvey said...

I too greatly admired and enjoyed Alan's performances. He had a wonderful affected air of being baffled and bemused, but above all unaccepting, of our crazy modern world.

The one about Diana underlines the high risk wire he was on. What I recall was his reference to the cruise with her last controversial consor; he remarked that with her latest boyfriend she had become a 'looose portal'.... I gasped and laughed, the audience gasped and laughed... and then that car crash went and happened.

( I'm not sure that was in the same Quiz show edition you mentioned, perhaps on the week before?)